Delivering on the promise of better care
Our innovative clinical model drives exceptional results
by Dr. Neil Wagle
Healthcare today is not just confusing and complicated — it can be unfeeling and impersonal. Our healthcare system is not designed in a patient-centric way. People are shuttled back and forth among an assortment of well-meaning primary care doctors, specialists, hospitals, and other facilities, resulting in an experience that is highly uncoordinated, fragmented, full of unwelcome surprises, and reactive. Patients must try to piece their healthcare together for themselves, akin to asking someone to buy a car by purchasing all the parts separately and assembling it themselves at home.
At Devoted Health, we’ve built a different model of care that starts with knowing our members on a personal level and earning their trust. By focusing on each member as a person and not as a chart, we have set out to provide the best quality care for older Americans through our all-in-one healthcare solution combining Devoted Health Medicare Advantage plans, access to high quality local providers alongside virtual and in-home care via Devoted Medical, and full-service guides—with world-class proprietary technology powering it all. As a result of bringing these pieces together, we provide every member with a complete, coordinated, and customized healthcare experience.
By focusing on each member as a person and not as a chart, we have set out to provide the best quality care for older Americans through our all-in-one healthcare solution
Devoted delivers measurable improvements in health
But it’s not just our philosophy that’s different. Our results reflect the exceptional caliber of service and care made possible by our integrated solution and the dedication of our team. Recently, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced their annual Star Ratings for 2023, a measure of Medicare Advantage performance analyzed and ranked on a scale of one to five. We are proud to share that:
- Our plans in Ohio (HMO Contract H2697) received an overall 5 out of 5 MA Star Rating in their first year of eligibility.
- Devoted Health plans in Arizona (HMO Contract H8173) were awarded an overall 4 out of 5 Star Rating, also in their first year of eligibility.
- Plans in Florida (HMO Contract H1290) and Texas (HMO Contract H7993) were each awarded a 4.5 out of 5 Star Rating overall, continuing the strong scores they received last year.
- Across all four markets eligible to receive Star Ratings, Ohio, Arizona, Florida, Texas, Devoted earned 5 out of 5 Star Ratings for key quality performance measures, including customer service, overall rating of health plan, diabetes care (in the eye exam, kidney disease monitoring, and blood sugar control measures), and medication adherence for hypertension.
For context, according to an analysis conducted by Milliman, only approximately 10 percent of new MA plans received a 4 Star Rating or higher in their first potential year of eligibility, and only 5 percent received a 4.5 Star Rating or higher, demonstrating just how impressive our achievements in Arizona and Ohio are this year. Our Stars Rating performance directly reflects real-life changes to our members’ health, including:
- At least 85 percent of members with diabetes were able to get their blood sugar levels under control. In fact, Devoted helped members achieve an average reduction in their HbA1c of 2.3 in only 113 days.
- At least 77 percent of members with hypertension have gotten their blood pressure under control. On average, Devoted members reduced systolic blood pressure by 15 mmHg in 40 days.
- At least 90 percent of Devoted members with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and/or diabetes took their medications as directed, compared to a national estimated average of 50 percent.
A new approach to clinical care
These clinical outcomes are industry-leading. And, they’re possible because of Devoted’s ability to create a new care paradigm, which includes not only integrating all the necessary pieces of healthcare in an innovative, all-in-one, tech-powered model—including Devoted Medicare Advantage plans, high quality local providers, and Devoted Medical—but also generating an innovative model for clinical program development. Devoted Medical teams have the ability to rapidly hone successful clinical models, quickly match members with programs specifically targeted to meet their unique healthcare needs, and achieve faster, better outcomes.
These clinical outcomes are industry-leading. And, they’re possible because of Devoted’s ability to create a new care paradigm
As the first virtual and in-home medical group built from the ground up to serve the specific needs of the Medicare population, Devoted Medical is scaling a new model of advanced primary care to more older Americans across the country. Collaborating with members’ primary care physicians, Devoted Medical generates remarkable clinical results, like those seen in Devoted’s CMS Star Ratings, through deeply specialized clinical programs it offers, intensive care coordination powered by proprietary technology, and mission-oriented clinicians who are empowered to deliver whole-person care.
While these results reflect Devoted Medical’s exceptional care offering, these outcomes are more than just numbers. For Devoted members, being part of Devoted Medical means having a care team waiting in the wings to help them manage some of the most complex health conditions. It means having a team that measures success not by numbers of visits or how quickly the team churns through service calls, but by patient wins. And it means having a team that is given the directive to always go the extra mile to make each member feel loved and empowered.
We’re incredibly proud of this year’s Star Ratings, not just for the validation they provide for our model of care, but for the hard work and devotion to each member that they represent. Today, we are delivering a higher standard of care to over 80,000 members, and we are excited to bring this integrated all-in-one healthcare solution to more Americans.
On a personal level, I am profoundly grateful to be part of a team of dedicated providers and professionals of all stripes whose incredible minds are only matched by their enormous hearts. They bring their whole selves to our mission of taking care of our members like family, going above and beyond every day, and they do so with tremendous grace, creativity, humor, and humility. It’s an honor to work with you all.
Dr. Neil Wagle is the Chief Medical Officer at Devoted Health. He also works as a primary care physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital.